KDE performance problems with 3.2.x (not a flame)

David Gethings davidg at pipex.net
Wed Mar 31 23:43:26 BST 2004

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 21:30, Brian Lee Yung Rowe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed Gentoo Linux 2.6.4-r1 onto a Shuttle SN85G4 with
> Athlon 64 (amd64), 1GB PC3200, and ATI Radeon 9200 .  KDE 3.2 looks great
> (nice improvements over 3.1 and 3.0) but the performance is really poor on
> this new box.  I initially installed KDE + X from pre-compiled binaries and
> then upgraded via compile.
Hi Brian,

I am running KDE 3.2 on Gentoo too. Nice an snappy here! I does sound like
there is some KDE lib problem. If you haven't already try installing strace
and then run the KDE apps from the command line prepended with strace. e.g.
"> strace konqueror". strace will show you want the app is doing during the
delay.

This might explain the problem to you (depending on you computing/C
programming skills). If not it will certainly help this list in diagnosing
your problem.

Cheers

Dg