KDE after login...not

Bob McIlvaine suemac at empire.net
Sun Mar 28 15:43:47 BST 2004

> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:08:09 -0700
> From: James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org>
> Subject: Re: [kde] KDE after login...not
> To: kde at mail.kde.org
>
> > I am running KDE on OpenBSD 3.4.
> >
> > X seems to be installed and working. When the machine
> > boots the X login screen comes up with the nice gui and
> > puffy fish graphic.
> >
> A "fish"????  Are you certain that this is the KDM login
screen?

When X is installed under OpendBSD (at least what I have),
if the machine is set up to go directly to x for the login screen
there is a nice set of text boxes for you to type in your login
and password. The logo for openBSD, the puffy fish, is
displayed as well.

> > So far so good.
> >
> > If I login, I get a an xterm window.
> >
> > if I then type startkde, the KDE desktop is added to the
> > screen.
> >
> > But, if I create a .xsession file and put the startkde line in
it.

> Exactly what an: "~./xesssion" file does is system/distro
dependent, but I
> would put the full path in it.  E.G.:
>
> 	/usr/kde3/bin/startkde
>
> where the path is system/distro dependent.

Yes, the contents of ~/.xsession is a fully qualified path to
startkde.

> > No xterm starts and I get a box saying that "Couldn't start
> > kdeinit" and an ok button. Clicking this button returns me
> > the puffy screen.
>
> After you login with the graphical login, it runs a script:
"Xsession".

Yes, and this file, on my install, executes ~/.xsession.

> It
> is this script that determines how the X session starts.
This script also
> needs to see that you PATH and other environment
variables are set
> correctly.  In Linux, this can be done by having it be a login
script or
> directly sourcing: "/etc/profile" & ("$HOME/.bash_profile" |
> "$HOME/.profile") -- unless you are using Bash, it would
be:
> "$HOME/.profile".
>
> > So I ssh in from another machine and rename the
.xsession
> > file and we're back to the way it was.
>
> You can probably just login to a console to make changes
in the GUI
> login.

Well, I don't know how one gets by the graphical login...it
appears after boot...

> You need to check and see what: "Xsession" is doing.
>
> > The puffy login screen is fine with me.
>
> This is probably not the KDM login screen.

Indeed, it is the default of OpenBSD with (I think) fvwm.

> > So, nothing that I've googled has given me much in the
way
> > of concise guidance here.
> >
> > - Could someone point me to docs that have complete
> > details (everything I've found so far is a bit of this, a bit of
> > that) of setting up kde.
>
> First you need to see that you are using KDM.  Check to
see that KDM is
> being called when the system boots.

Is this required? If I get rid of ~/.xsession, I login fine and am
presented with a standard xterm. IF, in this xterm window I
type startkde...KDE starts fine...is it not starting what ever it
needs at this point?

So, if it does it in this scenario, what I'm trying to figure out is
what is it (startkde) missing when executed from
~/.xsession?

>From your comments and others, I'm guessing that some
environment setting is not complete at the point ~/.xsession
is executed, where as, when done from an xterm window the
environment is complete.

> > - Could someone explain or point to docs which show the
> > complete sequence of what goes on to start and xterm
> > session/KDE session. (i'e. what scripts and their
sequence at
> > login are run...or expected/optioned, what shell variables
are
> > involved.)
>
> After you login, it executes:
>
> 	Xsession <Session type>