printing broken after KDE 3.2.1 install

Marc Heyvaert marc_heyvaert at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 16:26:17 GMT 2004

Hello,

I installed KDE 3.2.1 from the rpm's offered on the
SuSE website. I have SuSE 8.2

Previously I had KDE 3.2 and before that 3.1.4 and
before the original 3.1 that came with the
distribution.

Don't ask why, but not long before this upgrade I
uninstalled CUPS.... :-(

I installed the .rpm's before reinstalling CUPS and
-of course?- printing didn't work.

I have since reïnstalled CUPS, but this made no
difference. I have also tried to reïnstall the arts,
kdelibs and kdebase packages, but again no difference.

I notice that there is still on my system a kde-cups
package that Yast insists on maintaining, it seems to
be version 3.1.1 but in the new rpm's there is no
comparable package available.

Perhaps you won't be considering looking into this
because this is about a binary ditribution (and I am
planning to compile the stuff for myself this weekend)
but I want to understand.

I get no error message at all when I generate a print
but as an example have a look at a print preview from
KWord

http://www.taiji.be/printerror.png

Does this sort of problem look familiar to anyone?

Also, can I compile KDE 3.2.1 on top of my existing
distribution (kde is in /opt/kde3 for the moment so I
will set the prefix) or should I uninstall something
first?

Regards

Marc