Changing KDE 3.2 menus

Philippe Hemmel phemmel at freesurf.fr
Mon Mar 22 10:40:30 GMT 2004

Le lundi 22 Mars 2004 03:24, James Richard Tyrer a écrit :
> Philippe Hemmel wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I've just installed a mdk 10 distro with KDE 3.2. I changed the menus
> > type to KDE menu instead of mandrake menu.
> >
> > Now I want to change the shared KDE menus, and the way I can do that
> > visibly changed.
> >
> > Changing the directories in /usr/share/applnk doesn't work all the time,
> > because some .desktop files aren't in these directories.
> >
> > I red the new freedesktop spec about the new applications.menu files, and
> > I changed this file.
> >
> > But I don't know how KDE can take these changes into account ! Does
> > someone know that ? What command do I need to run ?
>
> I would recommend that unless you are generally familiar with configuring
> things by hand editing files that you use the KDE Menu Editor to make
> changes in the menu.

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I am familiar with that. I'm trying to package a KDE desktop, so I need
to change the shared menus, not the user ones, and I think I can't do that
with kmenuedit.

> If you are trying to add a new menu category, you need both a "*.directory"
> file in "$KDEDIR/share/desktop-directories/" and a "*.menu" file in:
> "/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged"

No, I'm trying to change the menu tree. I saw these configuration files, but I
think I have to change the applications.menu file to change the tree.

How can I see the results of the applications.menu file update ?

Philippe