Changing KDE 3.2 menus

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Mar 22 02:24:15 GMT 2004

Philippe Hemmel wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've just installed a mdk 10 distro with KDE 3.2. I changed the menus type to
> KDE menu instead of mandrake menu.
>
> Now I want to change the shared KDE menus, and the way I can do that visibly
> changed.
>
> Changing the directories in /usr/share/applnk doesn't work all the time,
> because some .desktop files aren't in these directories.
>
> I red the new freedesktop spec about the new applications.menu files, and I
> changed this file.
>
> But I don't know how KDE can take these changes into account ! Does someone
> know that ? What command do I need to run ?

I would recommend that unless you are generally familiar with configuring
things by hand editing files that you use the KDE Menu Editor to make
changes in the menu.

If you are trying to add a new menu category, you need both a "*.directory"
file in "$KDEDIR/share/desktop-directories/" and a "*.menu" file in:
"/etc/xdg/menus/applications-merged"

--
JRT