how do I get kde when I login?

Steve King stevenking66 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 12:42:48 GMT 2004

Mac

I had this problem when I was using kdm as the greeter (that was specified
in /etc/init.d/xdm on my set-up).

I guess you have kde installed somewhere like /opt/kde3? Adjust what follows
accordingly.

First, check that /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xsession will start up your kde
desktop (when typed at the xterm window you are getting).

Then, make sure that /opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc has this line:
Session=/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/Xsession
in the section called [X-*-Core]   (careful - lots of very similar section
names!)

That should do the trick... Go back to the greeter and try again.

(I also found that things were being spoiled by files in /etc/opt/kde/*. I
deleted these and various kde features burst into life. Of course, be careful
about doing that. I presume the problems I had with it were because it
clashed with /opt/kde/share/config/kdm, but the /etc/opt/kde directory must
have been there for a reason...)

Good luck

Steve.
Dundee, UK