how do I get kde when I login?

kde at schertell.com kde at schertell.com
Sat Mar 20 01:52:57 GMT 2004

> Hi all,
>
> newbie questions...
>
> I have xwindows installed. It handles the login screen. And presents me
> with a x terminal etc when I login.
>
> And, I can then start KDE with the command startkde...this adds the kde
> desktop and shows lots of stuff in the xterm window where i type the
> command.
>
> But, I would like to have that happen without typing startkde evertime I
> login.
>
> AND!, yes I've read all the docs I could find. Putting startkde in .xinitrc
> did nothing.
>
> I followed one set of recommendations modifying rc.local, etc. and
> everytime I logged in I ended up with a 51+Mb kimageroot.core file in /.
>
> Help...please?

Some distros (definitely Debian, Fedora, others) ignore .xinitrc.  For Debian,
the solution is to follow directions exactly for the .xinitrc solution, only
the file should be saved to your home directory as .xsession instead
of .xinitrc.  Don't forget to chmod 755 so the file is executable.

Good luck :-)