KDE Developers don't test their own programs...

Clemens Wacha wacha at gmx.ch
Wed Mar 17 12:34:46 GMT 2004

Hello,

I like KDE because it has thousands options. Its very flexible too. I
really like Konquerors filter view or the embedded search function.

What I don't like is the fact that there are only very few programs that
I can work with longer than 5 minutes without finding the first really
stupid bug.

I.e. KDE Addressbook. Don't even think of trying to use the csv
importer. its totally useless to me because I cannot import my adresses.
Symbol text line breaks are not really important but even in win95 first
release it looked better than in any kde version i saw.
mime type detection might work for 95% of stupid newbies that never
change anything. I tried to add .sid Tunes and Gameboy roms. But its not
possible because both of them are recognized as octet-streams... That
might be true but they still have different file endings.. well but
konqi doesnt care.. hit is hit :-)
And what do we need the FileType Description for.. Just always reset it
back to Unknown Document. Not matter what I type there.
Because I relly like the filter button from the extra toolbar in konqi I
wanted to move it to the main toolbar so I always have it handy.. Well I
added it but it doesnt appear... But instead the extra toolbar now has
two of them. Great feature :-)
Viewing pdfs is still a pain because the tools render slow and always
only the current page. After switching the page you still have to wait 5
secs. Searching is a pain that way.. not to speak of the missing search
function or the ability to select text (yes I know its ghostscripts
fault but that still doesnt make it better). And before I forget, don't
try to view landscape pdfs....
Since I use an iBook I have no access to acrobat. Luckily xpdf can
display landscape pdfs. But rendering is still f**** slow compared to
native OSX PDF viewers...

The thing I like most in KDE3 is that now it doesnt crash anymore which
still happened in v2 sometimes. Maybe in v4 the core apps have their
bugs fixed. :-)

The reason why I dont file bug reports is because I just don't have the
time to surf the homepages and check if my bug isn't already filed etc.
I already file reports for openoffice, evolution and sometimes debian
packages. No matter what program it is for, it normally takes 10-15
minutes. Way too much for just a simple bug. I vote for an easy Tool
with a bug search function and a simple form to fill out all the needed
information. Gnome developers have tried this but they forgot the search
function. Without this I can't save time because searching for an
already existing bug takes most of the time (besides waiting for slow
php scripted webpages to appear :-( )

I am convinced that there are lots of people out there finding bugs but
none of them files them because its still too difficult. The same with
localization.

Enough rant.

I'd like to see what others are thinking.

Regards
--
Clemens Wacha           wacha at gmx.ch           ICQ:12620942

proudly running Debian/GNU Linux. See http://www.debian.org