Repost Kmail identity problem & oversized dialogue boxes

Richard Dawson rcdawson at att.net
Wed Mar 17 04:01:47 GMT 2004

No replies to my original post.  Perhaps the subject title "identity crisis"
was too cute.  Sorry.  I do hope someone can help.

I have two problems with Kmail that I have not been able to resolve.  The
identity applied when I reply is not the default sending ID, and the dialogue
boxes for certain actions overfill the screen and I cannot get to the "bottom
line".  (The identity applied is also wrong at other times, for instance when
forwarding.  I'm not sure it is entirely consistent.  Sometimes it applies
the identity I want.)

I am using Mandrake 9.1 and KDE 3.1.0.

With regard to me "identity crisis."  I have two different accounts.  Under "
settings, configure Kmail, network" I made AT&T the default sending account
(first in the list).  The other account occurs first in the receiving network
list, but there is no way to change the order there or assign a default.

I have created two identities, one for AT&T and one for the other account.
Each identity has "special transport" checked, with the name of the
appropriate network filled in.  The AT&T related identity is designated as
the default identity.

I have created a folder for each account, designating one destination folder
for each of the two accounts (by passing the inbox)  The sending ID for each
of those two folders is the ID corresponding to the account with which it is
associated.  I would have expected that when replying to a message received
in the AT&T folder ,the default sending ID would thus be the AT&T related
identity.

When I am in the AT&T folder and I create a new message, the AT&T related
identity is automatically filled in.  If I am in the other folder and I
create a new message, the other ID is automatically filled in.  So far, so
good.  If, however, I reply to a message or forward a message, regardless of
what folder I am in, the other identity is automatically filled in.

Most annoying.  I typically download by doing "check mail" which goes to the
other account first, downloads mail from it, then goes to the AT&T account to
download mail.  Using "check mail in" and dowloading mail exclusively from
the AT&T account doesn't seem to make any difference.

What am I missing?  How do I ensure that replying or forwarding messages have
identity of the folder in which the message is originated -- or at least let
me choose a default for all folders.

Which brings me to the second problem.  If I right click a folder and bring up
the properties dialogue box (or get there any other way) the dialoge box is
taller than my screen.  I can move it around by clicking and dragging on the
title bar, but, even though the cursor turns into the double-direction arrow
indicating size control function, I cannot make the window small enough to
see what is at the bottom of the window.  This is true of various other
dialogue boxes as well, such as the dialogue box to make new folders.   If I
"restore the window to a full screen image the bottom is missing.  I can tab
into boxes in the obscured part of the dialogue box, so I have been able, by
trial and error, to hit the apply button and, for instance, make new folders.

Any suggestions on how to correct this problem?