mp3-playback from a network-drive

Nathan Toone nathan at toonetown.com
Sat Mar 13 18:30:56 GMT 2004

>> Am Samstag, 13. März 2004 14:36 schrieb Janne Ojaniemi:
> > 1) If I try to open the file with an application, nothing happens. I have
> > tried with three different apps and here's what happens:
>
> I have the same problem. My solution is to mount the filesystem from the
> W2K with smbmount to the local filesystem. Then it will work.

I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that the problem is with KIOSlaves.  When you
access a file using smb:// (or fish:// or ftp:// or http://, etc), the
KIOSlaves wrap around the protocol to allow you to do things like copy,
rename, and open.  However, for smb://, since the filesystem is not mounted
on your machine, it actually downloads each file before playing it.  I would
bet that if you gave your media players enough time, they would probably
start eventually (after having downloaded the entire file)

The best way to play music over a shared network is to mount the network to a
local mountpoint.

-Nathan