[kde] Setting priority (nice) for aRts Daemon.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue Mar 9 23:29:28 GMT 2004

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I have problems with skips and pops when I play audio files (OGG) with
> Kaboodle.  IIUC, Kaboodle uses the aRts Daemon (artsd) to output sound.
>
> I find that if I set the 'nice' for all instances of 'artsd' to -10 that I
> have no problems -- the sound is perfect even when doing something with the
> window manager -- except that sometimes playing sound locks the screen.
>
> Setting the 'nice' for X to -8 seems to fix that problem.
>
> You can select the 'nice' for X in "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers":
>
> :0 local at tty1 /bin/nice -n -8 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -deferglyphs 16 -br
> -dpi 100
>
> Is there any way to select the 'nice' for the aRts Daemon?
>
> Currently I have to do this with a script, a DeskTop icon, and KDEsu.
>
> It would also be nice [:-D] to be able to set the 'nice' for TiMIDIty
> since it
> also needs the high priority to work without skips and pops.

Ugly hack department.

This appears to fix the problem.

I attach a modified version of: "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xstartup"

and a script: "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Music" to add to that directory
(must be executable).

NOTE: change the paths to fit your system.

NOTE: you must have: "/sbin/pidof" for this to work.

NOTE: I have also modified my: "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers" file (as
previously stated) to avoid (or improve) a slight problem with music
locking the screen.

--
JRT