Setting priority (nice) for aRts Daemon.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 3 18:03:31 GMT 2004

I have problems with skips and pops when I play audio files (OGG) with
Kaboodle.  IIUC, Kaboodle uses the aRts Daemon (artsd) to output sound.

I find that if I set the 'nice' for all instances of 'artsd' to -10 that I
have no problems -- the sound is perfect even when doing something with the
window manager -- except that sometimes playing sound locks the screen.

Setting the 'nice' for X to -8 seems to fix that problem.

You can select the 'nice' for X in "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers":

:0 local at tty1 /bin/nice -n -8 /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -deferglyphs 16 -br -dpi 100

Is there any way to select the 'nice' for the aRts Daemon?

Currently I have to do this with a script, a DeskTop icon, and KDEsu.

It would also be nice [:-D] to be able to set the 'nice' for TiMIDIty since it
also needs the high priority to work without skips and pops.

--
JRT