How to uninstall old KDE

Zabil Maliackal zabilcm at hathway.com
Wed Mar 10 02:46:43 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 06:19 am, Job 317 wrote:
> If updating to KDE3.2 is best done after uninstalling the old KDE
> (3.1.4) what  would be the best way to do that?
>
> I'm on a RedHat 9 machine and the KDE3.1.4 distro is all RPM-based.
>
> Spacibo.
>
> JOB
I run a Fedora system (which is quite similar to redhat 9.0 ).
I recently upgraded to KDE 3.2 using the rpms available at the kde.org site.
there are two ways you could install kde 3.2

first you download all the rpms from kde.org to a directory and then type the
following in the command promt after doing a "cd" to that directory.

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

This should be enough and it will upgrage the packages.

If you get some conflicts the do an
"rpm -qa | grep kde"   (kde packages)
"rpm -qa | grep qt"     (qt packages)
to list the kde and qt packages remove them (use rpm -e <packagename> if you
have yum installed then yum remove kdelibs would be enough to remove all
packages related to kde) and then type

rpm -Uvh art*.rpm
rpm -ivh qt*.rpm
rpm -ivh kde*.rpm