Moving temp KDE3.2 build to permanent location

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Mar 8 01:23:10 GMT 2004

Job 317 wrote:
> Alles,
>
> I am very pleased with KDE3.2 on ReHat 9 and would like to move it's
> location to a permanent location on my system.
>
> Currently it resides in /root/kde3.2 and I have updated my .bashrc with
> the environment variables pointing to this location as directed in the
> 3.2 documentation.
>
> Rather than go through a complete rebuild can I simply move everything
> over and replace my system's KDE 3.1.4 install? I really hate wasting
> the space on my HD even though I seem to have plenty. Plus I don't
> intend to use the 3.1.4 stuff anymore anyway.

No, you can't just move the stuff.  You need to reconfigure your source
tree with the prefix you want (either "/usr" or "/usr/kde3" would be
appropriate on a RedHat system) and rebuild and reinstall..

However, this will not recompile anything, it will just relink for the new
prefix and it won't take nearly as long.

Also, you will probably want to uninstall 3.1.4 first.

--
JRT