kde and printers=crash

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jun 27 13:50:32 BST 2004

On Sunday 27 June 2004 08:38, Gene Heskett wrote:
>I've posted a message describing my experinces with trying to print
>from a kde app such as kmail/kwrite/kate about 3 times now, and have
>been ignored.
>
>Where does one take kde problems that are "kdesystem-wide" if not to
>this list?

Further info, kde is konstruct built 3.2.3, machine has an rh8 install
updated to Fedora Core 1, with a 2.6.7-rc3-mm2 kernel (but the
problem is not kernel specific, its existed for the last year.

Let me append something I just found. I was able to access one of the
settings menu's without crashing the toolbar, and it said that the
command to run that function was "kcmshell printmgr", so I opened a
regular shell window and typed that, and got this:

[root at coyote root]# kcmshell printmgr
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca
from /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
kcmshell:
[KCModuleInfo::KCModuleInfo(KSharedPtr<KService>)] /usr/share/applications/kde-printmgr.desktop
kdeui (KCModule): KCModule kcmprintmgr
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x80cbb3c, number of objects = 1
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x80dfd8c, number of objects = 2
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x8111cc8, number of objects = 3
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x813ee30, number of objects = 4
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x813ed58, number of objects = 5
kdeprint: kdeprint: registering 0x817a0dc, number of objects = 6
kcmshell: KMMainView::slotChangeView
kdeprint: Checking for update possible
kdeprint: Starting async connect
kdeprint: Connection success, trying to send a request...

Now, at this point I have the printmgr window open for about 1 long
second, then:

Alarm clock
[root at coyote root]#

And it all goes away and I'm back to a shell prompt.

Does this offer enough additional info that someone could comment on?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.  Soap, ballot,