kde cannot print

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 26 09:29:19 BST 2004

Greetings;

I've built the last several kde's, currently running 3.2.3 on an
athlon with half a gig of ram, and a 2.6.7-rc3-mm2 kernel with fedora
FC1 installed by upgrade from rh8.

No kde app can access my printers (2, usb, epsons), which work
flawlessly with mozilla, gimp, and from the cli.

Any attempt to access the print system results in the app, and its
parent, doing a silent segfault and quit, leaving no trails in any of
the logs that I've found.  This includes the normal launcher bar at
the bottom of the screen, which will go away in about 1.5 seconds
just from hovering the mouse over the print manager text line in the
kde pullup menu, which will cause the lower bar with the pager,
clock, kde's main icon, etc to go away, which of course requires an X
restart to restore it.

I tried to print earlier this evening from kwrite, after saving the
message first, and kwrite and the popopen print controller window
both went away, with the popopen for the printer controller gui only
partially drawn on screen.

This condition has prevailed for at least a year, over many different
kernels and kde versions since 3.1.1a.  The printing system is cups &
gimp-print, 1.1.20 and 4.2.6pre1, foomatic is not installed.

As it leaves no trail in the logs when this occurs, and strace doesn't
seem to be able to follow the various forks done even with the follow
forks option enabled, how do the kde people suggest I go about
getting a peephole open to see whats going on?

I know just enough C to be dangerous, and no C++ at all.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.  Soap, ballot,