hotkeys being intercepted by application

airplays55 at yahoo.com airplays55 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 21 21:03:23 BST 2004

I just loaded knoppix with KDE 3.2.2 and am delighted
that there is now a hotkey setting section in the KDE
control center under the keyboard accessibility
section.

However I wish it worked like it does in windows... in
windows 2k, I can assign a hotkey to launch an
application, and if it is already launched, then
activate that window.  For example, I like to use
ctrl-alt-Z to start an instance of a notepad editor.

In KDE, I can assign a key sequence to activate a
window, but the hotkey sequence doesn't seem to be
detected by the OS unless I am in certain apps, like
konqueror.  Specifically, my hotkey sequence that
activates my NEDIT editor session does not work when I
am in a console shell window, and my hotkey sequence
to activate my console shell does not work when I am
in my nedit editor session.  However both hotkeys work
when I am in konqueror.

I wonder if there is a way to stop the application
from intercepting the hotkey sequence before KDE can
process it?