please help

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 2 17:40:47 BST 2004

Lic. Héctor Carlos Díaz wrote:
> Hi everyone:
> I use SUSE 8.2
> downloaded all KDE 3.2 rpm files from ftp site to a folder

First, the kitchen sink approach is not the answer.  By trying to Upgrade
(install) packages which you don't currently have installed and probably
don't need you only make it harder.

> but I don't know how to make de upgrade

What you do need is a new package for: "Qt", aRts, each KDE package you
currently have installed, and "Quanta" (in you have it installed).

You might as well Upgrade to version 3.2.2:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.2/SuSE/ix86/8.2

To determine which Qt packages you have installed:

	rpm -qa |grep qt

To determine which KDE packages you have installed:

	rpm -qa |grep kde

To determine which Quanta packages you have installed:

	rpm -qa |grep quanta

You probably also need to upgrade: "libart" & "taglib".  Check them in the
same manner.

After you download the packages that you need and place them in the proper
directory:

	/usr/src/<distro>/RPMS/i586

as root in a console change to that directory and execute:

	rpm -Uvh qt*3.3.1*.rpm arts*1.2.2*.rpm kde*3.2.2*.rpm

If you are upgrading other packages, add them to the command line with a
similar regular expression.

If you get any non-kde dependencies, upgrade them and try again.

Then Upgrade any "kde3-i18n" packages that you need.

	ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.2.2/SuSE/noarch

Restart KDM, or reboot.

To restart KDM login as root in VT1 "<Ctrl><Alt><F1" and execute:

	killall kdm
	kdm

--
JRT