[suse-kde] Menu problem.....once again.

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 29 08:57:36 BST 2004

Jim MacLeod wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 Jul 2004 16:34, Fred Miller wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday July 28 2004 10:16 am, Bojan Hribernik wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>

>>>My menu works fine, but I have one nasty problem...
>>>I created new section with kmenuedit called personal, with most
>>>frequently used apps. I put a bunch of items in it (some i copy-pasted,
>>>some created), saved it and exited. In menu, everything was ok, personal
>>>section was there and all the items too. But when I tried to edit the
>>>menu again, all the items in the personal section were gone. Then if I
>>>CHANGE something, SAVE it, EXIT kmenu, and RESTART it... all items in
>>>personal are there. ?!?!?!
>>>
>>>In short...
>>>ITEMS APPEAR (kmenuedit) -> CHANGE -> SAVE -> EXIT -> RESTART -> ITEMS
>>>GONE ITEMS GONE -> CHANGE -> SAVE -> EXIT -> RESTART -> ITEMS APPEAR
>>>
>>>Bug??
>>
>>Yes......and thanks, that corrected some menus, but not all.....strange!
>>There's a bug, again, in KDE.
>>

> Been reading up on www.freedesktop.org about menus and I've found nothing that
> allows the creation of personal menus - the system seems designed exclusively
> to deal with apps. I can only assume the sub-menus available through the
> Control Centre are handled completely differently.

When you edit the menu with the MenuEditor, it should modify a file:

	$HOME/.config/menus/applications-kmenuedit.menu

for the user account that edits the menu.

Did that happen?  If it isn't too long, you might post it or if too long, send
it to me.

Or, you could delete that file and just add one new item to the menu as a test.

This might be a bug with the MenuEditor.  I have modified the menu and it has
worked OK, but I did a lot of it by hand.

--
JRT