Cool new featuress for a new kde?!

Rikard Johnels rikjoh at norweb.se
Sat Jul 17 22:58:52 BST 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 19.02, Eugene Nine wrote:
> On Saturday 17 July 2004 08:02 pm, Thujan wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2004 at 09:32:46AM -0400, Allen Wilkinson wrote:
> > > I second Rikard's comments.
> > >
> > > KDE has been high energy in making new features. But they have done so
> > > much reinvention of the wheel that they have lost old good X-Window
> > > functions and not used Unix and X-windows function that already do the
> > > job while building a monstrously large and hard to administer (if a bug
> > > or two is lurking as it always is and because admin constantly morphs
> > > in significant ways between releases) desktop.

> > I disagree strongly!
> > I think Kde should be ultimate eye candy!
> > Because new desktop cpu(s) are most of the time in the idle anyway,
> > why not to use them display desktop?
> > Thinks get worst when everybody has 64bits with gigs of ram,
> > sure you can spare some of all that power to the desktop?
> > Linux is about choiche, if somebody wants spartan desktop why not
> > use fvwm2 or fluxbox?
> > And let the Kde and Gnome be full of eyecandy and features!
> > I red that Linus chose Kde, that is good enough for me.
>
> I personally son't like a lot of eye candy because I'm running on a laptop
> and to keep the laptop small and weight down I chose to go with a smaller
> 12" screen and slower processor.  Not everyone has or wants a 4GHz desktop
> that dims the lights in their house when its powered on.  However if you do
> like the eye candy there is plenty of stuff on kde-look.org.  Some of the
> stuff like karamba you could easily make your eye candy work like you want.

Sure i can use TVM or similar "light weight" manager.
But i happen to like the way kde is handling all the things i need/want with
ease. No hassle in editing conf files. No obscurity in handling
fileassociations etc. When i really want "light weight" i go console.
And as Eugene said; Not everyone has a
"umpti-CPU-with-zillion-mega-megabytes-ram" box to use.
I run a dual 433 MHz box. and it is handling the present "candy" rather well.
But it would fall on its knees if there were more to fiddle with.
And besides The desktop only sits idle when you don't work with it.
As soon as you start moving things around, switch desktops or open/close
windows (which i tend to do alot) the load skyrockets if i enable all the
"candy" available today.
I cant understand why you would want all those "bells and whistles" to begin
with.. They aren't doing anything useful anyhow.. :)

--
         /Rikard

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh at norweb.se
                        Web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
                        Mob     : +46 70 464 99 39

< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >