Music Playing Problems aRts nice? RFC

Norberto Bensa nbensa at gmx.net
Mon Jul 12 18:20:52 BST 2004

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > I've installed kde 3.3.0_beta1 and ogg output from juk sucks big time.
> > (to kde sound devs: when will there be a gstreamer enabled kde!!???)
>
> First, you might want to try Kaboodle to make sure that it isn't a Juk
> issue.

Hm. Seems like an arts bug. Kaboodle has the same problem.

> I found that $KDEDIR/bin/artswrapper is not installed SUID, you need to [as
> root] make that change by hand.  See if that helps.

Done. No change.

> In the Sound System KCM, on the General tab, enable:
>
> 	Run with the highest priority (realtime priority)

Done. No change.

> Then on the Hardware tab "Select the audio device" yourself rather than
> leaving at automatic.

Already done. No change.

> Or, try [as root]:
>
> 	renice -10 `pidof artsd`

No change either.

I've found that OGG output seems to be jerky on passages with
somewhat-too-high tones (songs from Jean Michel Jarre) MP3 output is OK...

Oh, BTW, this is KDE from CVS HEAD (20040711)

Regards,
Norberto