icon special variables for exec

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 8 07:13:17 BST 2004

Terry wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:18:13 -0700, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Terry wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I created an icon in a folder within KDE.  I named it foobar.   I gave
>>>it an exec command line.  However, I want it to be something like
>>>Exec=rdesktop -g 1280x1024 $0
>>>where $0 is the name of the icon, foobar, like in shell.  How can I do
>>>this?  Come to think of it, I could have it invoke a single shell
>>>script and do my magic there but I guess it would be nice to know if
>>>there are special variables for this type of function available.
>>
>>IIUC, $0 would give you rdesktop.  If that is what you want, use %i
>>
>>Otherwise:
>>
>>        Exec=rdesktop -g 1280x1024 --icon <icon>
>>
>>or
>>
>>        Exec=rdesktop -g 1280x1024  -- --icon <icon>
>>
>>--
>>JRT
>

> I don't want to set the icon or the name of it, i just want to read
> it.  For example, I created a new 'Link to Application'.  I right
> clicked this and did a rename and named it to 'foobar'.  I right click
> on it again and go to properties.  I click on the application tab.  In
> the command box, I want to put something like:
> rdesktop -g 1280x1024 <SOMETHING>   where <SOMETHING> is a special
> variable that contains the name of the object, in this case, 'foobar'.
>   :)

OK, I have done that.  This is for a service menu item? correct?  Or, perhaps I
still don't know exactly what you want to do.

Handy hint: the service menus are in:

	$HOME/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus

You might want to look at some of them.

You use: %f for a service menu 'desktop' file.  At least this one that I created
works:

------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8