Konsole get's sluggish after hours..

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Mon Jul 5 18:03:57 BST 2004

Actually I have been noticing the sluggishness of linux after a while, since
Suse 5.3 (my first foray into this tangled web (no pun intended)).  On a
computer with the same memory and hard drive size (actually the same computer
with a removable drive), net access is much slower.  I have mentioned this in
the past, with no response.  Must be a retorical problem!  This is
unfortunate because I am one of those who does not like what Mr. Gates has
done to the computer industry, and likes the basic premises of linux, mainly
no hidden agenda to make another buck.

On Monday 05 July 2004 09:33, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Saturday 03 July 2004 09:08 pm, Kenneth Aafløy wrote:
>
> <...>

> > [snip]

> > > That's even worse than here.  I currently have 2 tabs open and it's
> > > eating about 55MB of swap.  Of course,  it was only eating about 35MB
> > > of swap when I first fired things up after the last restart...
> >
> > Hmm, my swap after a whole day of usage:
> >  03:03:19 up 1 day,  3:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.34, 0.47, 0.34
>
> Eh?   I don't see anything in there pertaining to swap.  Those load numbers
> seem a little high to me,  though.  Maybe not.
>
> > And my swap is still stable, ie non-usage. I've attached the output of
> > 'ps aux' edited to remove most unrelated processes. But just to mention
> > it, I've yet to notice any sluggishness in konsole (maybe to little
> > usage?).
>
> I don't see where ps is going to help here either.  That's telling you
> what's running,  but doesn't address the issue of swap that I can see...
>
> What I do here is set up "top" to run on tty8,  in the init scripts of each
> machine I set up (there are currently three of them with a fourth one in
> process).  At the moment,  the line in there that refers to swap reads as
> follows:
>
> Swap:  248964k av,   29680k used,   219284k free
> 27272k cached
>
> Dunno why that "cached" bit is on that line.  This is with KDE up and kmail
> _only_ running at the present time.
>
> Yesterday is a perfect example of the problem.  I had kmail up,  and also
> konqueror (where I think the problem lies),  and over a period of hours the
> swap used got all the way up to 111M!  The area around 20-30M seems to be
> typical when you first start it up.  Opening the browser and loading a web
> page will use some,  opening more tabs will drive things up,  and once you
> get up into the 50s things start to get *real* sluggish,  and you don't
> wanna use it any more.
>
> At the moment I've got another machine on,  also on the LAN and working
> through the same firewall,  and that's got a lot more physical RAM in it,
> so that's where konqueror is running.   There's 320M in that box and the
> last time I looked it hadn't touched swap _at all_.  I have some more NFS
> tweaking to do before I get to the point were I'll be wanting to use mostly
> that box, but having started out using it,  I haven't noticed any
> particular pattern of RAM usage increasing.  Right now it's at 291012k used
> out of 321044k available.  We'll see if it increases or what...

John Sowden
American Sentry Systems. Inc.
1221 Andersen Drive
San Rafael, CA  94901

U.L. Listed Central Station Alarm Service
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area Since 1967

mail at americansentry.net
http://www.americansentry.net