Konsole get's sluggish after hours..

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Mon Jul 5 17:33:45 BST 2004

On Saturday 03 July 2004 09:08 pm, Kenneth Aafl√ły wrote:


> > > > This seems to be a nontrivial memory leak,  somewhere.  I don't know
> > > > versions, but this was happening with whatever the heck I got under
> > > > Slackware 9.0,  and stayed about the same in the stuff that came with
> > > > 9.1.  I haven't gotten newer here to try out yet.

> [snip]

> > > I have same situation, open Konsole with 10 or more  sessions,
> > > Konqueror for web browser and Kmail. After a day or more idle, Konsole
> > > little bit sluggish and i've to close Konqueror because eating system
> > > ram 100Mb just to open 2 website in tab.. duh...

> > That's even worse than here.  I currently have 2 tabs open and it's
> > eating about 55MB of swap.  Of course,  it was only eating about 35MB of
> > swap when I first fired things up after the last restart...

> Hmm, my swap after a whole day of usage:
>  03:03:19 up 1 day,  3:48,  1 user,  load average: 0.34, 0.47, 0.34

Eh?   I don't see anything in there pertaining to swap.  Those load numbers 
seem a little high to me,  though.  Maybe not.

> And my swap is still stable, ie non-usage. I've attached the output of 'ps
> aux' edited to remove most unrelated processes. But just to mention it,
> I've yet to notice any sluggishness in konsole (maybe to little usage?).

I don't see where ps is going to help here either.  That's telling you what's 
running,  but doesn't address the issue of swap that I can see...

What I do here is set up "top" to run on tty8,  in the init scripts of each 
machine I set up (there are currently three of them with a fourth one in 
process).  At the moment,  the line in there that refers to swap reads as 

Swap:  248964k av,   29680k used,   219284k free                      27272k 

Dunno why that "cached" bit is on that line.  This is with KDE up and kmail 
_only_ running at the present time.

Yesterday is a perfect example of the problem.  I had kmail up,  and also 
konqueror (where I think the problem lies),  and over a period of hours the 
swap used got all the way up to 111M!  The area around 20-30M seems to be 
typical when you first start it up.  Opening the browser and loading a web 
page will use some,  opening more tabs will drive things up,  and once you 
get up into the 50s things start to get *real* sluggish,  and you don't wanna 
use it any more.

At the moment I've got another machine on,  also on the LAN and working 
through the same firewall,  and that's got a lot more physical RAM in it, so 
that's where konqueror is running.   There's 320M in that box and the last 
time I looked it hadn't touched swap _at all_.  I have some more NFS tweaking 
to do before I get to the point were I'll be wanting to use mostly that box,  
but having started out using it,  I haven't noticed any particular pattern of 
RAM usage increasing.  Right now it's at 291012k used out of 321044k 
available.  We'll see if it increases or what...

This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.

More information about the kde mailing list