Konsole get's sluggish after hours..

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at blazenet.net
Sat Jul 3 02:34:20 BST 2004

On Friday 02 July 2004 09:16 pm, Bambang Gunawan wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:34:58 -0400, Roy J. Tellason
>
> <rtellason at blazenet.net> wrote:
> > I have noticed the same sort of behavior here at times.  Most of the time
> > I've got Konqueror and Kmail running,  and not much else.  Sometimes I
> > fire up another program,  maybe Knode,  or perhaps Kscd and Kmix.
> >
> > What I've noticed,  because I have top running on a text console,  is
> > that over time the amount of swap used (in addition to system ram,  which
> > ain't much on this box) continues to grow.  It keeps growing as long as I
> > run this stuff,  and the system gets more and more sluggish,  with that
> > HD light staying on more and more of the time,  until I find it
> > intolerable and shut down X altogether.  At that point I'll turn swap
> > off,  back on again,  and fire up startx,  and things will work fine.
> > For a while.
> >
> > This seems to be a nontrivial memory leak,  somewhere.  I don't know
> > versions, but this was happening with whatever the heck I got under
> > Slackware 9.0,  and stayed about the same in the stuff that came with
> > 9.1.  I haven't gotten newer here to try out yet.
> >
> > It'd be nice if somebody could take a look at this.
>
> I have same situation, open Konsole with 10 or more  sessions,
> Konqueror for web browser and Kmail. After a day or more idle, Konsole
> little bit sluggish and i've to close Konqueror because eating system
> ram 100Mb just to open 2 website in tab.. duh...

That's even worse than here.  I currently have 2 tabs open and it's eating
about 55MB of swap.  Of course,  it was only eating about 35MB of swap when I
first fired things up after the last restart...

> After I close Konqueror, Konsole running better but not much :-)

Sometimes closing Konqueror seems to help,  yeah.

> Off topic, whenever Kmail run for fetching to POP server, it's eat
> 50%-90% of processor resource, is that normal ?

Not here!  I changed the default from whatever it was set to something like
every 10 minutes,  I think,  and it does okay more or less.