HELP[2]: HP photsmart 318 in KDE!

Koivisto Kimmo kimmo.koivisto at surfeu.fi
Sun Jan 4 11:53:48 GMT 2004

> Hi all,
>
> It seems like operating systems doean reconise the usb port, isnt
> it?

Check with commands:
#dmesg
#tail -f /var/log/messages
after you have plugged the camera on. After I plug my camera (Canon G5) to the
usb-port, I get the following lines to the /var/log/messages:

kernel: hub 3-0:1.0: new USB device on port 1, assigned address 3
devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted

Then, check what devices you have in you usb with command
#lsusb
lsusb reports these devices on my computer:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04a9:3085 Canon, Inc.
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05a9:a511 OmniVision Technologies, Inc. OV511+ WebCam
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

If you do not see anything like this, check that you have usb-modules loaded,
with command
#lsmod | grep usb

You should have at least usbcore and uhci/ohci/ehci (I'm using kernel 2.6,
there is some differencies in module naming). If you don't have any of those
modules, try to load those with modprobe or insmod.

Also check that you have usb enabled in your motherboard's bios.

If everything seems to be ok, check if the gphoto2 is able to detect your
camera:
#gphoto2 --auto-detect
Gphoto2 auto detects my camera and prints out
Model                          Port
Canon PowerShot G5 (PTP mode)  usb:

> Is it needed to compile the kernell or something like that to get
> the usb ports working?
I don't know Mandrake, but I'm 100% sure that it has usb support.

> HOw do I know if USB ports are working well or not?
Do the tests above

BR
Kimmo Koivisto