HELP[2]: HP photsmart 318 in KDE!

Alex kbyte at iol.pt
Sun Jan 4 11:27:53 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to connect the HP phtosmart 318 to my linux box:
mandrake 9.1... Firstly I create a new entry in the KDE Control
Center for digital vameras, and when I push the button to test it I
always see the following message:

"unable to initialize camera. Check your port settings and camera
connectivity and try again..."

It seems like operating systems doean reconise the usb port, isnt
it?

Is it needed to compile the kernell or something like that to get
the usb ports working?

HOw do I know if USB ports are working well or not?

Any advices???

PS: I have no entries in the /dev directory concerning usb ports!
The only thing I have in the /dev directory is an empty directory
called usb.
How do I add usb ports to the mandrake 9.1 system (kde 3)?

Thanks a lot...

Alex