international fonts and character encodings

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg at dewire.com
Fri Feb 27 14:54:24 GMT 2004

On Friday 27 February 2004 15:08, Christopher Marshall wrote:
> I am having trouble understanding designations like 8859-6 and 10646-6.
ISO 8859-6 is the ISO standard for encoding arabic using one byte per character.

ISO-10646-6 does not exist, there are variants suffixes ISO-10646-1 that handle specific topics, but the
last number is just a sequence not related to anything else.

iso10646-1 in XFree86 fonts says the glyphs are identified using unicode code points I don't know what the '1'
signifies, but it is definitely not the ISO-8859-1 subset. Maybe the format requires a number in that spot, so it
became '1'.

Such a font can contain much more if not all unicode characters though I don't think such a font exists.

Arabic could have fonts encoded with iso8859-6 or iso10646 and possibly some other encoding.

-- robin