how to make KDE faster?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Feb 24 20:59:17 GMT 2004

On February 20, 2004 12:38 pm, Alexander H.M. Ruoff wrote:
> I have to agree, I use a PIII 450 with 128 MB and KDE is compared to W2K
> really snappy and extremely stable. Same experience with my Laptop, a

The common claim of everyone who has said "KDE is faster than Win2k on [my]
machine" is that they are all (correct me if I'm wrong) using less than 256
meg of RAM. Maybe 128 meg or less.

As I may have mentioned, when I had only 128 meg of RAM, Win2k was a MASSIVE
PIG. It thrashed and ground the hard drive constantly. I'm not sure how KDE
would have compared, but it's entirely possible it would have been faster.

HOWEVER, I am not referring in any way, on either system, to hard drive access
slowing things down. Since I have upgraded my system to 384 meg of RAM, Win2k
is lightning fast -- there is not even a second of swapping to slow things
down. The same applies to KDE (no swapping to slow things down).

But, with the 384 meg, simple, PROCESSOR-BASED (?) tasks like opening/drawing
windows takes a noticeable delay on KDE while there is no delay on Win2k.
This is NOT a function of how many icons are in a folder or anything like
that. Things that do not require significant hard drive reading just open
instanteously on Win2k for me and take 2 - 4 seconds to do so in KDE.

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com