No sound, KDE 3.2, Debian stable (mostly)

Udo Hoerhold bywater-linux at goodontoast.com
Tue Feb 24 02:58:34 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've installed KDE 3.2 on a Debian stable system (with a few packages from
testing and a 2.6.3 kernel), and sound isn't working.  With the default
settings for "Sound System" in Control Center, I don't get any message at
all, just no sound.  If I specify ALSA as the audio device, and /dev/dsp as
the device location, I get the message:

device: /dev/dsp can't be opened for playback (No such file or directory)

ALSA is compiled into the kernel.  I have i8x0 audio, which I've tried
compiled in, and as a module.  ls -al /dev/dsp gives me:

crwxrwxrwx    1 root     audio     14,   3 Mar 14  2002 /dev/dsp

Does anyone know what this problem might be?

Thanks,

Udo Hoerhold