how to make KDE faster?

Mark Fetterolf mwfetter at surewest.net
Fri Feb 20 15:47:03 GMT 2004

And I will chime in here.  I have used redhat for years and when they added
GNOME desktop as their DE of choice I was thrilled.  Trying KDE 1.0 I was not
real happy with the speed and sluggishness of it at that time.

Just on a whim I decided to build my own system recently though, independent
of all conventional distros (loosely based on LFS) and decided to install KDE
as the primary.  I will never use GNOME again.

On that note after building my own system I will never use RedHat either.

DE's generally provide a TON more functionality than any one user needs.  KDE
is so much easier to trim and streamline to a personal users needs that I am
not going to use another desktop for the foreseeable future.

Excellent product.

My personal, experience based opinion though is that building from source will
yield the most optimal environment.  If you can do it and have the time I
would suggest it to anyone.  You REALLY learn a lot about your OS and KDE by
doing this.  I personally have only experienced minimal problems with KDE as
of yet.

Cheers,
Mark