how to make KDE faster?

Stephan Matthiesen stephan at met.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 15:17:57 GMT 2004

Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2004 20:39 schrieb Gerhard den Hollander:
> So indeed, as otyher people have suggested, it looks like the KDE rpms you
> are using are more to blame then KDE itself.

As a normal user, I find the discussion a bit confusing. This seems to imply
that the fedora RPMS (from the KDE website?) are not optimal. Is this the
case, and if so, can't it be fixed?

Is it better to take the RPMS from the KDE server, or from the Fedora
Development server? What's the difference?

For most users it is probably not a good suggestion to try RPMs for a
different distribution or even recompile KDE. I could probably do it, but
it's so much hassle and the danger that something goes wrong that I rather
live with a non-snappy KDE.

I don't have windows and no other distribution, so I don't know if my KDE is
slower than it should be. It is faster than 3.1.4. (thanks!), and speed is
not a big issue for me, but I wouldn't mind if it can be made faster with not
too much effort.

Thanks
Stephan