how to make KDE faster?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Fri Feb 20 13:52:58 GMT 2004

On February 20, 2004 08:31 am, Dexter Filmore wrote:

> your begging, Trevor Smith, who asked the question said upgrading was well
> within the range of possibilities, so adviced him on hardware.

Indeed, it's not really something I *should* spend money on, considering I
have a computer that, IMO, *should* be able to easily handle my uses for it:
word processing, web browsing, email, ssh, a little MySQL, some basic C
compiling and the odd use of Dia or similar drawing program.s

However, if the reality is that throwing more hardware at KDE is the only
thing short of recomipling that will make it as snappy as Win2k, then screw
it, I'll throw hardware at it. That would be a lot easier than recompiling
kernels and other system software for a person with my level of experience.

I imagine it this way: the money I could be earning in the 3 - 5 days of time
I would spend trying to learn what to do and to actually do it (compiling KDE
components and/or linux kernels) is less than the $500 Cdn it will cost to
buy a honking new (compared to my PIII 500) computer.

So it's theoretically cheaper to buy new hardware and I get the bonus of
having new hardware. :-)

 Trevor Smith    |    trevor at haligonian.com