Changing Caption of Konsole-Tabs

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Mon Feb 16 12:11:56 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 06:55:26AM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday 16 February 2004 03:43, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> > Is it possible to change the caption of the Konsole-Tabs via some
> > escape-code? I know it's possible for the window title, but even heavy
> > googling didn't show me a way so set the tab captions
>
> You can set the tab caption, acutally the session name, by DCOP.
> The difficult thing would be to find out which session in which konsole
> process to send the command to.
>
> This renames the last session of the last konsole to "foo"
>
> export KONSOLE=$(dcop | grep konsole | tail -n 1)
> export SESSION=$(dcop $KONSOLE | grep session | tail -n 1)
> dcop $KONSOLE $SESSION renameSession foo

My goal is to see to which server i am currently connected (via ssh). For
xterms this works quite well by setting the windows title, because one xterm
== one ssh-connection. But with kde's tabbed konsole, you have to switch to
a tab to see the "window title" associated with that tab.

That's why I was looking for a way to change the tab caption instead of the
window title using escape codes - so I believe using dcop won't help me
much, unless I install a dcop client on all my servers.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion

greetings, Florian Pflug