KDE 3.2.0: cannot prevent artsd from starting

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Sun Feb 15 23:53:41 GMT 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:27:04 +0100
Markus Schoder <lists at gammarayburst.de> wrote:

> After I launch KDE artsd is always running -- even if the "Enable
> sound system" check box is not checked in the control center.
>
> By checking and unchecking the box and pushing Apply I can stop artsd
> -- but it will happily restart the next time.
>
> Am I missing something here?
>
> --
> Markus

Hello, Markus :)
I had the same question a while ago, and the answer I was given is this:
as root, run the following in a terminal window:
chmod 444 /usr/bin/arts*

There are a lot of KDE applications that require Arts to be running even
to compile.  If you run into one of those, just run something like:
chmod 755 /usr/bin/arts*
I don't know it that is the default permissions or not.  What I do know,
is that if you chmod 444, there is no way that Arts can start up.

My two-cents worth: I used to have to kill Arts just to play mp3's with
xmms :(  But since I started running KDE 3.2 instead of the default
version that comes with Fedora Core 1, all is well :)

The above might not be the prettiest way to do it, but it does work :)
Oh yeah, obviously, after you chmod 444 /usr/bin/arts*, you need to kill
Arts.

I hope that I have been of assistance to you :)
Steven P. Ulrick