kmail: message archive and restore - RFH

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg at dewire.com
Sun Feb 1 19:41:19 GMT 2004

söndag 01 februari 2004 19:44 skrev gerry gavigan:
> Thank you for replying.
>

> > Do you mean copying the whole Mail directory doesn't work?
>
> I am sorry but I wasn't sure I understood the suggestion.
>
> Are you are suggesting I just drag and drop the entire mail directory into
> k3b?
>
> If so, it creates completely the uncertainly I am trying to avoid:
>
> I wouldn't know that when I drop the directory into a fresh install of Kmail,
> that I would be able to read my messages.
>
> When I move one message out of the directory and put it back, Kmail cannot
> "see" it (I might as well have deleted it)
Maybe I don't understand your problem, but I'll try anyway; If you copy the whole Mail directory, that includes
the indexes. Can't see how that could fail. If you oth copy only the mbox or MailDir representing
a KMail folder you will be out of sync. You must copy the index files also.

However, if your remove the index files, I think KMail recreates them. (you mail lose any marks you
set though). This is an observation on the mbox format and not necessarily supported officially. It seems
reasonable that it should always work though.

> > Another way if you want to be selective is to import from the MailDir's or
> > mboxes from your copy by setting up a mail account in KMail to read from
> > it.
>
> I didn't understand what you meant here.  Did you mean set up another user
> account?  How then would I save the messages, without encountering the
> problem about?

See the create account in KMail and look at the options. The "source" could be an mbox or
Maildir instead of pop etc. KMail stores its mail in on of those formats, whichever you choose, MailDir
being the default.  On top of that KMail creates index files that are not involved when you import stuff.
I have not tried this with Maildir, only mbox, but I see no reason it should not work.

> Gerry

-- robin