kmail: message archive and restore - RFH

gerry gavigan gg at gerryg.uklinux.net
Sun Feb 1 18:44:59 GMT 2004

Thank you for replying.

> Do you mean copying the whole Mail directory doesn't work?

I am sorry but I wasn't sure I understood the suggestion.

Are you are suggesting I just drag and drop the entire mail directory into
k3b?

If so, it creates completely the uncertainly I am trying to avoid:

I wouldn't know that when I drop the directory into a fresh install of Kmail,
that I would be able to read my messages.

When I move one message out of the directory and put it back, Kmail cannot
"see" it (I might as well have deleted it)

> Another way if you want to be selective is to import from the MailDir's or
> mboxes from your copy by setting up a mail account in KMail to read from
> it.

I didn't understand what you meant here.  Did you mean set up another user
account?  How then would I save the messages, without encountering the
problem about?

Gerry