Menu font sizes

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Dec 31 03:15:22 GMT 2004

David Corbin wrote:
> On Thursday 30 December 2004 16:15, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>David Corbin wrote:

>>>Meaning?
>>
>>That the problem won't occur if you use another font.
>>

>>>The control center shows me the correct font.  I've chosen
>>>"Helvetica 13".
>>
>>If this is the bit mapped Helvetica that comes with X, this is probably
>>the problem.  If you have the URW fonts installed, try: "Nimbus Sans L"
>>and see if that fixes the problem.
>

> No change.  (I assume a reboot is not required, though I did restart KMail).

The change in the KCM should propagate through KDE applications that are
open (it takes like 10 seconds or so).  Other applications might need to
be restarted.

So, I don't know what to tell you.  I presume that you were having the
problem in KMail since you mentioned it.  I tried "Nimbus Sans L" and it
works in the KMail menus on my KDE-3.3.2 installation.

People do report such problems from time to time.  Do you have the wrong
font in the MenuBar as well as the menus.

Qt uses FontConfig and it is necessary that it find your fonts.  You can
rebuild the caches and check this by opening a Konsole:

	su -
	<enter your password>
	fc-cache -fv

This may take a while.  It will list all of the font directories it is
using and how many fonts if finds in each.

And/or

You can run this to make sure it is finding the font:

	fc-list | grep "Nimbus Sans L"

If you have installed a distro, you could check the distro's help list
to see if it is a distro related bug.

It is possible that you also needed to upgrade FreeType2.

--
JRT