Disk i/o overloading and cpu monitoring

Pol linux_milano at yahoo.it
Mon Dec 27 15:37:56 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I am running deb/unstable with kde 3.3.1 gui on my acer
travelmate laptop (intel centrino cpu).
In the last few days, my laptop has become almost unusable
due to overloading input/output to the disk, that seems
to be triggered both by desktop applications (e.g.kpackages,
kaffeine, etc) and terminal applications entered  through
the konsole terminal emulation, e.g. apt-get, that freezes
reading the database.

As I have checked out, enough free swap area seems to be
available, so no reason of such i/o is evident.
Furthermore, from the system monitor on the kde panel
displays one gets that almost 100% cpu is busy due to system
activity, while 'top' is detecting a very low cpu
activity - i cannot explain such inconsistent behaviour.

Here are my questions:
  - What can be the origin of such high i/o traffic?
  - Why do the kde panel and 'top' report such different informations?
  - How can i detect the program (system processes behind
    the running desktop  application) that is actually performing i/o ?

Thank you for your help

--
Pol

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST at lists.debian.org