Remote login - xdm

Larry Howe larry.howe at comjet.com
Mon Dec 27 04:57:03 GMT 2004

Below...

On Sunday 26 December 2004 17:26, Basil Fowler wrote:
> Remote login requires two files to be altered, namely /etc/X11/xdm-config
> and /etc/X11/Xaccess.  By default, access by remote X servers is
> disallowed.
>
> In /etc/X11/Xaccess, uncomment the line
>
> #*      #any host can get a login window
>
> In /etc/X11/xdm-config, comment out (with a ! ) the line
>
> DisplayManager.requestPort: 0
>
> Once this is done, you can go to your remote terminal and  enter on the
> command line:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query <name|ip no of computer into which you want to log
> into>
>
> You should get the kdm or xdm login screen.
>
> I use this for my spare computer when I want to use it as a remote
> terminal.
>
> For full details consult:
>
> http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32827.htm
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Basil Fowler
>
> On Sunday 26 December 2004 18:28, Larry Howe wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to configure / use remote login (xdm). I already
> > have Desktop Sharing working, but it isn't quite what I want. There is
> > way too much network traffic, and I have some reliability problems. I use
> > remote login routinely at work, and it works well, so I'd like to try it
> > at home. I checked the docs and have made some progress, but I can't seem
> > to get it to work. Here is what I have configured / tried so far. Any
> > help appreciated.
> >
> > Also, are there any other better tools for this task?
> >
> > Larry Howe
> >
> > On the client: ====================================
> >
> > Configuration: ========
> >
> > in /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, I added a single line for
> > LoginMode.
> >
> > [X-:*-Greeter]
> > AdminSession=YaSTadminSession
> > LoginMode=DefaultLocal
> >
> > Usage: ============
> >
> > After changing kdmrc, on the X login screen, I now can go Menu / Remote
> > Login. That brings up a new screen, titled XDMCP Host Menu. I typed the
> > server name in Host and clicked Add. Now the server appears in the list,
> > showing the host name, how many users are currently logged in, and the
> > system load (=> it's communicating with the server).
> >
> > If I select the host and click Accept, the screen flashes a few times,
> > the stopwatch shows for several seconds, then the _local_ X login screen
> > comes back again.
> >
> > Logs: =============
> >
> > kdm.log:
> >
> > Fatal server error:
> > XDMCP fatal error: Session declined No valid address
> >
> > /var/log/messages:
> >
> > Dec 26 10:52:39 pickle kdm: :0[5302]: pam_unix2: session started for user
> > lhowe, service xdm
> >
> > On the server: ===================================
> >
> > Configuration: =========
> >
> > Yast / Security and Users / Security Settings / Next / Next / Next /
> > Allow Remote Graphical Login (the help for this option says "Checking
> [...]

Basil,

That was the ticket exactly. Well, almost. The config files were already set
up as you said. I tried the command line you gave. The first time it errored
out saying display 0 already in use (I was at a command line within an X
session). So I changed it to

/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -query <name>

and I got the graphical login. This is 100 times better than the Desktop
Sharing. It is almost as fast as logging in locally. OK, I can't display
video over it, but repainting screens is very fast. Load on both machines is
much lower than with Remote Desktop. I wonder why KDE has nice builtin
preconfigured Remote Desktop, but not remote login?

I still can't get the remote login to work from the builtin XDMCP login box,
but at least now I know it should be possible.

Thanks a million for your help.

Larry Howe