ksnapshot save as png filesize too large

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Dec 20 14:49:28 GMT 2004

In 3.1.1 & older, saving a snapshot of a web page such as
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/fonts-face-samples.html as a png file
would be much smaller than in recent versions. For example, opening in
Mozilla the URL "about:" (which has a vast expanse of white) in a
maximized window at 1280x960 saves as a 66872 byte file in 3.1.1 on SuSE
8.2, and 117938 bytes in 3.2.2 on Fedora Core 2. The size disparity can
become quite a bit greater than those two.
http://24.110.13.74/SS/fonts/mozchrome/ contains many snapshots I took
the other day where the disparity is more typical. Comparables among
those include 52K vs 188K, 42K vs 141K, and 50K vs 172K. With the 3.2.x
versions that I have, it isn't possible to save as png and get a
reasonably small size file for an internet web page.

Am I the only one that this bothers? http://bugs.kde.org/ shows nothing
I can find on the subject.
--
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the
Father except through me."                        John 14:6 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/