aRts - "Test Sound" button failure

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at arklinux.org
Sun Dec 12 20:26:00 GMT 2004

On Sunday 12 December 2004 4:16 pm, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Sunday 12 December 2004 02:14, alupu at verizon.net wrote:
> > aRts-1.3.1 and KDE-3.3.1 on 2.6.9 kernel.
>
> Hmm, I'm struggling with a setup like that. Do you use a Athlon-64 in
> 64-bit mode, by any chance?
>
> > Control Center > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System > General
> > The "Test Sound" button doesn't do anything at all
> >  (i.e. no sound and/or any activity whatsoever).
>
> Nor with me. For me, this is because the test is an ogg-vorbis sound, I
> think...
>
> > QUESTIONS:
> > 1.  How can I enable whatever it's supposed to do?
> > 2.  At the very least, what app does it trigger?
> >     (so maybe I can track the problem down from there)
>
> Try artsplay something-ogg. I don't know if this is it, but I think so.
>
> > NOTES:
> > 1. Control Center > Sound & Multimedia > Sound System > Hardware:
> > "Select the audio device" is on ALSA (but can be on anything,
> > such as "Autodetect", same result)
> > 2. Just in case, I mention that "Enable the sound system" is ON.
> > 3. Sound (of any other kind) works OK, such as:
> >    - System Notification(s)
> >    - Soundcard Detection (Sound Card Configuration) with its
> >      "Play test sound" button.
> >    - 'artsd' is up, running fine and doing what it's supposed
> >      to do (except react to that pesky "Test Sound" button).
>
> check, same with me. Wav plays fine (which is most notifications, as does
> ogg vorbis with e.g. mplayer, but arts and ogg is a no-go.
>
> I'm using Gentoo. Are you?

The aRTs ogg issue was fixed in 3.3.2 and is a known breakage in 3.3.1

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel

Developer for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg at arklinux.com

for more information.
Consider using a free MS-Office replacement for most platforms,
http://www.openoffice.org/