KDE locking the whole box on SuSE 9.1

Rikard Johnels rikjoh at norweb.se
Fri Aug 27 06:15:45 BST 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 23.49, Basil Fowler wrote:

> When this occurs, I start konsole or a text terminal on another computer on
> my home network. I then log in to the locked up computer via ssh *in text
> mode* giving me console access to the locked up computer.  I then su to
> root on the locked up computer. It is then possible to kill any process. I
> tried to kill X, but this did not produce any useful results.  So I used
> this facility to do a proper shutdown / reboot.

Thats the problem: I CANT log in remotely, as the network locks out as well.
That was the first test i did.
Now i have been "smart" to open the ssh session BEFORE i start X.
I have the 9.1 on runlevel 3 for starters, and open two ssh terminals.
One doung a top -i and the other for a prompt to kill or whatever needed.
But still, as the system grinds (see other post regarding y2base) i loose
connection via ssh. It just drops.
So i cant use that to kill anything. :(

--
         /Rikard

Rikard Johnels          email   : rikjoh at norweb.se
                        Web     : http://www.rikjoh.com
                        Mob     : +46 735 05 51 01

< 15 28 DF 78 67 98 B2 16 1F D3 FD C5 59 D4 B6 78  46 1C EE 56 >