KDE locking the whole box on SuSE 9.1

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Thu Aug 26 11:58:41 BST 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 13:17, Rikard Johnels wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Tried a fresh install of 9.1 today (for the third time)
> No frills, just a clean from scratch install of the standard system.
> And i've gotten the same problem EVERYTIME!
>
> KDE locks up randomly after a few minutes.
>
> No keyboard, no network no nothing but the button-on-the-front can unluck
> it. I cant seem to find the answer to why or what causes the lockup.
> Thought it to be YAS, but even if i dont run it it locks.
> Thought it was a number of other things, none applied.
> It just wont run.
> It looses keyboard, CAPS and NUM toggles, but you cant shift to another
> terminal to kill X, and you cant even bail out with ctrl-alt-backspace. YOu
> cant access the box via keyboard at all.
> It also kills network connections, i cant ping let alone ssh to the box as
> it hangs.
>
> What am i to do???

You can try Magic SysRq keys. SysRq-B reboots. If it does that, then
machine still services interrupts. May be useful:
tErm (SysRq-E): TERM all tasks
kIll: KILL all tasks
showPc: get current stacktrace
showTasks: get all processes' stacktraces

If any of the above works, you have starting point to dig deeper.
--
vda