Sound problem after upgrading to KDE 3.3...

Clinton E. Troutman troutman at mesh.net
Sat Aug 21 19:19:29 BST 2004

An interesting turn of events relating to my "upgrade" to KDE 3.3

I quoted "upgrade" as I actually removed all components of KDE 3.2 then
installed the components for KDE 3.3 (running Slackware 10.0)

Problem:
First, I'll say that sounds functioned as expected in KDE 3.2.
In KDE 3.3, when the GUI loads, the "start sound" plays normally then I have
no sounds after that. I have discovered that the volume settings in
[alsamixer] for Master, PCM, and CD are all set to "0" after KDE 3.3 loads. I
can adjust the [alsamixer] settings in a terminal window within KDE and sound
events are immediately available within KDE and all applications (XMMS,
etc.). Yes, I have stored the [alsamixer] volumes with [alsactl]; both from
within KDE and outside KDE.

Problem is the same whether I use "AutoDetect", "OSS", or "ALSA" in the Sound
System Hardware dialog... (Other choices provide no sound at all)

I have attempted to locate the "Load Volumes", "Save Volumes", and "Load
Volumes on Startup" settings in KDE 3.3 but they appear to have been removed
or, at least, hidden. The Control Center module for "Mixer" settings appears
to also be removed or hidden elsewhere. Since I can't find those settings, I
can't test to see if that's the problem. (In my KDE 3.2 settings, "Load
volumes on startup" was ticked and did not present a problem; I wonder if
that setting is carried over to KDE 3.3 and functions differently...).

So, I don't know what the problem might be or what else I should test/check;
any ideas ??

Note:
ESS Solo Sound Card
lsmod shows the following:
snd-es1938             11240   1
gameport                1420   0 [snd-es1938]
snd-pcm                56072   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-es1938]
snd-page-alloc          6328   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-opl3-lib            5892   0 [snd-es1938]
snd-hwdep               4804   0 [snd-opl3-lib]
snd-timer              13604   0 [snd-pcm snd-opl3-lib]
snd-mpu401-uart         3200   0 [snd-es1938]
snd-rawmidi            12740   0 [snd-mpu401-uart]
snd-seq-device          3888   0 [snd-opl3-lib snd-rawmidi]
snd                    30852   0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-es1938 snd-pcm
snd-opl3-lib snd-hwdep snd-timer snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-seq-device]
soundcore               3396   6 [snd]

--
Clinton E. Troutman
CeTro