installing a screensaver in KDE

Ze mmodem00 at netvisao.pt
Thu Aug 12 17:18:11 BST 2004

Em Quinta, 12 de Agosto de 2004 14:06, o JASON JESSO escreveu:
> Thx.
>
> I hate the kde screensavers.  So I am just using
> xscreensaver from now on.
>
>  --- James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote:
> > JASON JESSO wrote:
> > > Got my hands on the matrix screensaver.
> > >
> > > I put KMatrix.desktop in
> > > /usr/share/applnk/System/ScreenSavers.
> > >
> > > Control center does not pick it up until I create
> >
> > the
> >
> > > link in
>
> /usr/share/applnk-mdk-simplified/.hidden/ScreenSavers
>
> > > In works than, but later on (few days later the
> >
> > link
> >
> > > dissappears).  All those links there get
> >
> > recreated.
> >
> > > By what process?
> > >
> > > How do I make this permanant?
> > >
> > > I keep having to recreate this link manually.
> >
> > I apologize for giving you this answer, but I have
> > to tell you that I have no
> > idea how Mandrake works.
> >
> > Editorial (:-)):
> >
> > This is an unfortunate situation where the three
> > major "Linux" distros have been
> > modified to the point that there is some question if
> > they are really Linux, and
> > they have modified the menu system for KDE to the
> > point that it is now the
> > disto's menu system.
> >
> > So, this is a Mandrake issue and I would suggest
> > that you ask on a Mandrake list
> > or newsgroup.
> >
> > All I can tell you is that the Screen Saver code in
> > KDE has changed a lot over
> > the last few versions and there have been some minor
> > glitches.
> >
> > I would suggest that it might help if you installed
> > the Mandrake RPM for the
> > XScreenSavers rather than trying to do it yourself
> > by hand
> >
> > One tip: Some recent versions of KDE appear to need:
> >
> > 	/usr/X11R6/lib/xscreensaver
> >
> > {your system's path may be different}
> >
> > added to your path for them to work.  NOTE: previous
> > versions where KAppFinder
> > installed them didn't need this.
> >
> > --
> > JRT

You can read help:/kcontrol/screensaver/index.html, there are some good
explanations.
There explains how to remove kde screensavers.
You said that you were going to stop using the kde screensavers and start
using the xscreensaver.
But how to you disable the kde screensavers and enable the xscreensaver?