KWin crashes with unfortunate frequency

Steven P. Ulrick ulrick2 at faith4miracle.org
Tue Apr 13 15:42:27 BST 2004

Hello, Everyone :)
I am running KDE from the CVS, and everything seems to be working
excellently, except that Kwin seems to crash quite frequently, and for
no known reason.  A few points of clarification:
1. My /etc/sysconfig/desktop file has this entry, and this entry alone:
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
2. My default desktop is KDE

The way that this problem manifests itself is I will be minding my own
business, maybe using Open Office 1.1.1 to edit a document, but nothing
more than that.  Then I will get an error message that tells me that
Kwin has crashed, among other things.  After Kwin crashes, every
application that I have open takes on the appearance that one gets when
they do the following: "alt f3 | Advanced | No Border"  The only
difference, taking Konsole for example, is that when the Border
dissapears, following Kwin crashing, there is no way to refocus the
window, or to enter text on the command line.
"Alt F2" won't do it's thing, I can't restore windows that are
minimized.

I assume that this is a bug, because I have never ever chosen to run
applications without borders, and I therefore have changed no settings
relating to such things.  Also, this issue didn't start until a CVS
update of about a week or so ago.

In closing, some more important information:
OS: Fedora Core 1, full installation (not an upgrade), EVERY package is
installed (Approx 1400+)  Also, I have every official update installed,
and I am running the latest Fedora Core 1 kernel.
QT: QT is installed from the RPM's that come with KDE 3.2.1  Now that I
think about it, I'll try QT from the CVS, just to be safe.  But I've
hosed my system before trying to install QT from the source :(
KDE: KDE is installed from the CVS, fully updated less than a week ago,
probably a few days ago.  I always compile and install "arts" and
"kdelibs" first, then "kdebase", and then the rest in no particular
order, except for installing "kdeaddons" last.
Here is a list of the modules that I have installed:
arts
kdelibs
kdebase
kdebindings
kdeutils
kdeartwork
kdegraphics
kdeadmin
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork
kdesdk
kdeedu
kdegames
kdetoys
kdewebdev
koffice
kdeaddons
kdeextragear-1
kdenonbeta

I am sorry that I don't have any more information than that, though I
will be glad to give you any information that you discern that you need.
One more thing, I searched the KDE-devel and this mailing list, as well
as some KDE newsgroups, and I found nothing about this.
I would be glad to Bugzilla this, but I have no real information to give
now, except the fact that Kwin just crashes a lot.  I have never had any
issues like this before.

Anyway, let me know how I can be of help with this matter :)
Steven P. Ulrick