DNS oddity in Konqueror/Mozilla

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg at dewire.com
Sun Apr 4 09:20:13 BST 2004

Your (well my) machine first requests AAAA records, i.e. IPv6, but
it doesn't get them within some timeout, so it asks for A records (IPv4)
instead. Then the AAAA answer comes (no such address) and konqueror
believes it's the answer to the A query.

Windows doesn't ask for IPv6 addresses.

That's my few €0,02 on the issue. There's definitely a bug somewhere, maybe
the DNS server that doesn't answer quickly enough, and probably
konqueror/mozilla or the resolver library that mixes the answers from the
DNS.

And the followup question is: Why does Linux care about IPv6 when I use DHCP
and only receive an IPv4 address.

-- robin