kdesdk-3.2.1 doesn't install

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Sat Apr 3 04:40:25 BST 2004

Jim Jensen wrote:
> Am running RH9, with updates.  I downloaded kde-3.2.1 source and
> prerequisites.  Most components build, a few don't.  kdesdk fails in
> "make install" with the following errors:
>
> rm: cannot remove `/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/cervisia/common': Is a
> directory
> make[3]: [install-docs] Error 1 (ignored)
> ln: `/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/cervisia/common/common': File exists
> make[3]: *** [install-docs] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> The workaround I've found is to comment out lines 495 and 496 in
> kdesdk-3.2.1/doc/cervisia/Makefile, and rerun "make install".
>
> Any suggestions?

I would have removed the directory:

	/usr/share/doc/HTML/en/cervisia/common/

and tried it again.

This problem happens once in a while because the developer doesn't consider
that the directory might exist.  To remove it you would need:

	rm -Rf /usr/share/doc/HTML/en/cervisia/common

You could also change the command in the make file.

--
JRT