konqi hits prime time?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Sep 30 09:42:04 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 03:33, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Nick THOMPSON wrote:
> > I mainly use konqi for most of my browsing, but I'm always curious to
> > try new stuff. I had a quick go with MozillaFirebird today and on the
> > first site I choose to try (www.powergen.co.uk), it failed. But I was
> > pleasantly surprised by the message the web site gave:
> >
> > ---paste--- We have detected that you are running a browser not
> > supported by this website.
> >
> > We currently support Microsoft Internet Explorer (Version 5.0 or
> > above) and Netscape Navigator (Version 7.02 or above).
> >
> > Whilst not officially supported the site can also be used with Opera
> > (Version 7.20 or above) and Konqueror (Version 3.1.1 or above).
> >
> > Your Current Browser: Netscape Your Current Version: 0.6.1 ---end---
> >
> > Corporate recognition!
>
> Nice, but it is a good news; bad news situation.
>
> The good news is that they recognize Konqueror.
>
> The bad news is that they are still thinking in terms of supporting
> browsers rather than supporting the W3C standard for HTML.

Especially when using a lousy browser check which doesn't get that
MozillaFirewbird is at least as recent as Netscape 7.2
This means that while recognizing Konqueror they will very likely fail to
see Safari or any other pontential KHTML browser as valid.

Anyway, good to see Konqueror named, the web developer might be using KDE
:)

Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>